Cougar relocated by Fish & Game from a cherry tree in Chelan, WA

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Choropleth Map of Population Change by State

This is a choropleth map depicting the population change in the US by state based on 1990 and 2000 Census data.  Most of the work was done in ArcMap then the file was exported to Adobe Illustrator for some finishing touches.  The CONUS map was created using WGS 84 projection.  I created a new data frame for Alaska and used NAD 83 Alaska Albers projection to get a better shaped feature. 

The data is broken down using natural breaks.  Is it "Viva Las Vegas" that is causing the population boom in Nevada?  I'm still experimenting with exporting/importing my final image.  I tried to follow Jennifer Slye's suggestion of using Picasso but haven't figured out how to copy the html data.

I'm slowly getting the hang of Adobe Illustrator and was able to create some lead lines for my state labels.  I really like the color options with AI.

No comments:

Post a Comment